Learning Module: Teaching Assistant Orientation
6 open-access lessons
2 – 3 hours
Congratulations on having the opportunity to work as a Graduate Assistant Teaching (GAT) at the University of Calgary! We know that teaching assistants have a significant impact on the learning experiences of our undergraduate students. For some, this may be your first opportunity to move from a student role into a teaching role, and there are a lot of things you want to learn. For others, you have some experience in teaching roles, but you want to enhance the skills you have already developed. This learning module is for all teaching assistants regardless of your experience. It will introduce you to a model of professional development that encourages you to continue to grow in your ability to support student learning.
You will be able to
- Engage in reflective practices to make meaning of teaching and learning
- Describe how keeping learning central leads to effective teaching
- Identify effective teaching and communication strategies for your role
- Consider ways to practice professionalism in your responsibilities and relationships as a teaching assistant
In this module, you will find:
- 2 activities
- 1 handout
- 4 example scenarios
- Additional reading and resources
Share your feedback
Let us know about your experience working through this module. Your feedback helps us to improve our learning modules.