Quality Graduate Supervision
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
MOOC and Webinar series description
Effective graduate supervisors combine their passion for research with a commitment to student mentorship. The Quality Graduate Supervision MOOC (massive open online course) has been designed to support faculty members in enhancing their supervisory skills and practices through seven online learning modules. Along with weekly webinars, rich resources, engaging activities and interaction with supervisors from across disciplines at five universities, this online learning experience includes the expertise, advice and perspectives of several award-winning graduate supervisors from the University of Calgary, Athabasca University, Queen's University, University of Lethbridge and the University of Regina to encourage further conversation among faculty members who engage in this MOOC.
The QGS MOOC is designed to offer flexible and accessible faculty development for new and experienced graduate supervisors at the University of Calgary and Athabasca University. The MOOC is designed to provide an innovative and responsive, interdisciplinary online learning community that enables faculty to engage in and contribute to collaborative learning experiences, and to collectively strengthen the quality of graduate supervision available for graduate students.
Upon completion of the course you can receive a digital badge of recognition.
Facilitator: Hawazen Alharbi, Shawn Fraser, Michele Jacobsen and Shauna Reckseidler-Zenteno
Date: Sep. 24 - Nov. 19, 2021
Locations: Online via D2L and Zoom
Please Note: This course is not open to Graduate Students or Postdoctoral Scholars.
- Enrich your understanding of the role & responsibilities of an effective graduate supervisor
- Engage in strategies for building productive, research focused mentoring relationships with graduate students
- Elucidate and consider diverse mentoring approaches for academic writing
- Examine online supervision strategies for connecting and collaborating with students
- Explore different strategies for mentoring students for diverse career paths
- Embody expectations for excellence as well as health & wellness in graduate education
- Employ strategies that anticipate and address challenges and conflict
- Elaborate on your own supervision strengths while setting goals for ongoing development of practice