Quality Graduate Supervision
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
MOOC and Webinar series description
Effective graduate supervisors combine their passion for research with a commitment to student mentorship. The Quality Graduate Supervision MOOC (massive open online course) has been designed to support faculty members’ in enhancing their supervisory skills and practices through seven online learning modules. Along with weekly webinars, rich resources, engaging activities and interaction with supervisors from across disciplines at two universities, this online learning experience includes the expertise, advice and perspectives of several award-winning graduate supervisors from the University of Calgary and Athabasca University to encourage further conversation among faculty members who engage in this MOOC.
The QGS MOOC is designed to offer flexible and accessible faculty development for new and experienced graduate supervisors at the University of Calgary and Athabasca University. The MOOC is designed to provide an innovative and responsive, interdisciplinary online learning community that enables faculty to engage in and contribute to collaborative learning experiences, and to collectively strengthen the quality of graduate supervision available for graduate students.
Upon completion of the course you can receive a digital badge of recognition.
Facilitator: Hawazen Alharbi, Shawn Fraser, Michele Jacobsen and Shauna Reckseidler-Zenteno
Date: October 26 - December 21, 2020
Locations: Online via D2L and Zoom
Please Note: This course is not open to Graduate Students or Postdoctoral Scholars.
You will learn to
- Understand the role and responsibilities of an effective graduate supervisor.
- Engage in strategies for building productive, research focused mentoring relationships with graduate students.
- Explore and consider diverse mentoring approaches for academic writing.
- Examine online supervision strategies for connecting and collaborating with students.
- Explore different strategies for mentoring students for diverse career paths.
- Balance standards for excellence and the need for wellness in graduate education.
- Enact strategies for anticipating and addressing challenges and conflict.
- Document their own supervision strengths and set goals for ongoing development of supervision practice.