Budget guidelines

Learn more about teaching grants budgets.


Development and Innovation Grants are eligible for up to $7,500. SoTL Grants are eligible for up to $10,000 per year (individual projects) or $20,000 per year (collaborative projects). 

Development and innovation

People: Individual or collaborative

Duration: One year

Funding Amount: Up to $7,500

Teaching and learning scholarship

People: Individual or collaborative

Duration: One or two years

Funding Amount: 

Individual projects: Up to $10,000 per year, to a maximum of $20,000 for two years

Collaborative projects: Up to $20,000 per year, to a maximum of $40,000 for two years

Common Uses and Guidelines for Grant Budgets

Funds are distributed through Research Services, and grant funds must be used as indicated in the project’s approved budget. The grants application requires a brief rationale for every expenditure, explaining how it supports the project’s goals and inquiry. Make sure you've consulted the recommendations and guidelines below.

Some common uses of Teaching and Learning Grant funds include the following:

  • hiring a student research assistant (see below for recommendation),
  • traveling to a conference to present the results of a project or paying publication fees (see below for stipulations),
  • paying software licenses,
  • hiring a transcriptionist (see here for a recommended transcription site), and
  • supplying hospitality for a relevant gathering or event. 

Requests for course releases must have the explicit approval of the relevant Head.

We recommend (but don't require) hiring a student research assistant to assist with the project. To support students’ development as teachers and researchers, and to inform how we conduct research into teaching and learning, we encourage treating student research assistants (RAs) not just as support but as co-inquirers or fellow members of the research team (i.e., more fully understanding the teaching and learning context, providing a student's perspective throughout the project, planning and designing the project, gathering and analyzing evidence, disseminating findings by co-authoring and/or co-presenting). On the budget form, please specify the RA’s types of activities, wages and number of hours. Human Resources has information on the process for hiring a graduate student as a research assistant on a grant-funded project. For support with hiring processes and guidelines, please go to the Integrated Services Center. 

Funds may cover travel, but these are not travel grants, so only a portion of the budget should be allocated to travel. Portions may cover travel to learn about teaching and learning or to present a project's findings. However, the primary use of the funds is to support the inquiry and research process, so travel funds should be a fraction of the overall budget (this principle also applies to using the funds for publication fees). Requests for budget items related to travel should be accompanied by strong rationales for their relevance to the project. Grants have generally supported presenting at local conference presentations, often allowing one of the research team's academic staff members and one RA to present at one relevant national or international conference.

Some applicants request a portion of the funds for open access publishing fees (please note, the library's Open Access Authors Fund is no longer available. More information can be found here).

The following are ineligible for funding through the Teaching and Learning Grants:

  • costs normally budgeted by University of Calgary units
  • costs associated with student course fees (e.g., student costs with field trips, tuition reimbursement, etc.)
  • wages for faculty, regularly assigned teaching assistants, or staff members who would normally be employed by the University
  • expendable items or equipment
  • principal Grantholders and co-applicants may not pay themselves

For additional university policies, consult with your appropriate department administrator, HR advisor, the university’s Travel & Expense Reimbursement Handbook and other applicable UCalgary policy documents.