Quality Graduate Supervision
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
Feb. 10 – Mar. 22, 2020
Effective graduate supervisors at the University of Calgary combine their passion for research with a commitment to student mentorship. The Quality Graduate Supervision MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) has been designed to support faculty members’ in enhancing their supervisory skills and practices through six online learning modules.
Along with weekly webinars, rich resources, engaging activities and interaction with supervisors from across disciplines, this online learning experience includes the expertise, advice and perspectives of several award-winning University of Calgary graduate supervisors to encourage further conversation among faculty members who engage in this MOOC.
The QGS MOOC is designed to offer flexible and accessible faculty development for new and experienced graduate supervisors, and to provide an innovative and responsive, interdisciplinary online learning community that enables faculty to engage in and contribute to collaborative learning experiences, and to collectively strengthen the quality of graduate supervision available for graduate students.
Upon completion of the course you will receive a digital badge of recognition.
All UCalgary graduate supervisors and post-doctoral scholars are invited to enroll in this online learning opportunity.
- Supervisors’ Best Practices
- Relationship Building
- Enhancing Academic Writing
- Anticipating and Addressing Challenges
- Mentoring for Diverse Careers
- Balancing Excellence with Wellness
You will learn to
- Understand the role and responsibilities of a graduate supervisor and the academic regulations for graduate education and policy on graduate supervision
- Engage in strategies for building productive, research focused mentoring relationships with graduate students
- Explore and consider diverse mentoring approaches for academic writing
- Explore different strategies for mentoring students for diverse career paths
- Balance standards for excellence and the need for wellness in graduate education
- Enact strategies for anticipating and addressing challenges and conflict
- Document your own supervision strengths and set goals for ongoing development of supervision practice